The Musikverein is Vienna's most famous center for classical music. Going to a concert here is about getting to know Vienna as a city of music in a setting of the very finest quality. And musical greats such as the Vienna Philharmonic.
Het gevarieerde landschap van de regio Elsbeere verbindt het Wienerwald met het Mostviertel.
Perfect voor een weekendtrip, kort verblijf of vakantie van meerdere dagen.
Een paradijs voor toeristen, gezinnen, koppels, wandelaars en fietsers.
Hotel Smart Liv'in is met zijn unieke ligging tussen Wenen en Sankt Pölten de ideale plek om te overnachten.
Direct gelegen aan de Europese snelweg E 60 en de Westautobahn A1 uitrit Böheimkirchen.
Vanaf het hotel kun je de bekendste toeristische bestemmingen van Oostenrijk bezoeken als daguitstap.
Böheimkirchen in de unieke regio Elsbeere-Wienerwald ligt ingebed in het heuvellandschap van het Alpenvoorland.
Het is de ideale uitvalsbasis om bekende toeristische plekken en het veelzijdige natuurlandschap te ontdekken.
Perfect voor een kort verblijf of vakantie van meerdere dagen.
St. Pölten, de hoofdstad van Neder-Oostenrijk maakt indruk met barok, jugendstil en hedendaagse architectuur.
Hier kan er naar hartenlust geleefd en beleefd worden, ontspannen en genoten.
St. Pölten biedt namelijk van alles wat: ontspanning, sport, genot, kunst en cultuur...
Mariazell is een wereldberoemd bedevaartsoord.
De plek is bekend om het beeld van Onze Lieve Vrouw "Magna Mater Austriae" in de basiliek "Mariä Geburt".
Het is een trekpleister voor jaarlijks duizenden pelgrims en toeristen uit alle landen ter wereld.
FIT “ ME KRAFTWERK
Fungym – outdoor fun
“Soak up the sun" in the SUNBOX
I-motion EMS training
QUALITY and SERVICE are very important to us. That's why we take measures that are unusual (in the fitness industry): We have set a limit on membership contracts for the studio in order to be able to guarantee you a relaxed workout without waiting times at the machines. For this reason, we have unfortunately already had to turn away prospective members and had to put them on a waiting list for a contract. But in contrast to many of our competitors, the satisfaction of our customers is our top priority. Thus, we ask for your understanding in such a case. If you have any requests or complaints, please contact us preferably in personal dialogue or via our form.
Heiligenkreuz Abbey is located in the municipality of Heiligenkreuz, only 15 kilometres west of Vienna, in the middle of the Vienna Woods. Heiligenkreuz is directly on the A21 motorway, the so-called "Alland Motorway", with a designated "Heiligenkreuz" exit.
Heiligenkreuz Abbey is a Cistercian abbey near Heiligenkreuz in the Vienna Woods. It has been in existence without interruption since its foundation in 1133, and is thus - after Rein Abbey - the world’s second oldest Cistercian monastery to have existed continuously since its foundation.
In the 12th century, the first Cistercians called the monastery "Paradisum", "paradise". Because, anyone who is in the monastery, lives in the proximity and presence of God, reads and meditates on the Word of God and lives in unity with his love.
The architecture of Heiligenkreuz Abbey reflects this basic idea. In the Romanesque-Gothic cloister, many hundreds of red marble columns, dating back to 1240, represent the trees of paradise, ending in the budding and tendrils of the capitals. The keystones of the mighty vaults symbolise the splendour of flowers in paradise. In the middle of the cloister is a lovingly tended garden.
Heiligenkreuz Abbey is worth a visit! You can experience this quiet "paradise" during a tour
Our fellow brothers and qualified guides not only present the monastery as an architectural and art historical jewel, they also want you to experience the mystic atmosphere of the place and want to tell you about the life of the monks in the past and present.
Visit us in Heiligenkreuz
Monday to Saturday:
10am / 11am / 2pm
3pm / 4pm
Sundays & public holidays:
10am / 11am / 3pm
Clay court tennis
A dazzling eTennis centre in Lower Austria at the Perschling Business Park. Players from the region - the location is particularly interesting for people from the neighbouring municipalities of Herzogenburg, Böheimkirchen and Neulengbach - can play on clay all year round on three TennisForce HS II artificial sand courts. There is a 200-kW photovoltaic system on the roof and state-of-the-art LED lighting together with digitalisation and automation possibilities of eTennis complement the facility as a whole. The subscription planner, with which tennis courts can always be secured at the best time, is already active.
The world's best pros (video link Bernd Wiesberger) trust one simulator when it comes to data accuracy in shot analysis: TrackMan. More than 800 tour players (video link Virtual Pro Series), major winners, all major equipment brands, TV stations as well as thousands of coaches and amateur players trust TrackMan when it comes to data recording and analysis. Thanks to the world's first and only Dual Radar technology, TrackMan impresses with accuracy and reliability in shot analysis.
Until 1889, Schloss Mayerling was a hunting lodge in Mayerling near Alland in Lower Austria,
southwest of Vienna. Today it accommodates the Carmel St. Joseph of the Discalced
The Mayerling cult is still alive today
On 30 January 1889, Crown Prince Rudolf, the son of Emperor Franz Josef I and his wife
Elisabeth ("Sisi"), died at the former hunting lodge of Mayerling. He had also killed his
mistress, the 16-year-old Baroness Mary of Vetsera, to be united with her in death.
Rudolf was buried in the Imperial Crypt, also known as Capuchin Crypt, in Vienna; Mary
Vetsera at the local cemetery of Heiligenkreuz (1 km away from the abbey).
Ever since, there has been an almost bizarre Mayerling "cult", as the mayerling.de
homepage shows. Apart from that: it's definitely worth a visit! Approx. 100,000 visitors come
to the speculative site of the tragedy every year.
The present Carmelite convent is even more alive
After the tragic death of his son, Crown Prince Rudolf, Emperor Franz Josef I had the Mayerling hunting lodge converted and founded a Carmel (a Carmelite nunnery), i.e. a strict convent for women, in 1891. The nuns also look after the memorial site. During a visit you can see, among other things, the grief-stricken emperor’s chalice of foundation and a photo documentation of Crown Prince Rudolf.
The Carmelite nuns of Mayerling live a secluded and humble life with much prayer and contemplation. They live, among other things, from the little income that they achieve from the guided tours of tourists. If you visit Mayerling, then support the nuns with your visit. Please respect the silence and sanctity of the Carmelite convent.
Summer season (15.06.2020 – 31.10.2020):
We are open daily, except Mondays, from 10am - 5:30pm, last admission is at 5pm.
We open Mondays only on public holidays.
Winter season (01.11.2020 – 31.03.2021):
Only open on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 10am – 5pm
Do you want to make someone happy or make your own dream come true? Then you have come to the right place because we promise you a very special experience.
Come aboard a hot air balloon and enjoy boundless peace and freedom.
Here you will find time to experience wonderful nature from a different perspective.
A perfect gift for weddings, company anniversaries, Christmas,
Easter, Mother's Day, events and much more.
Melk Abbey is one of the most beautiful uniform baroque ensembles in Europe. Visitors can expect interestingly designed museum rooms, state rooms - such as the marble hall and library, an unforgettable view into the Danube Valley and to the high baroque abbey church. The Abbey Park invites you to relax from May to October. From the viewing terrace of the north bastion, you can enjoy a vast view across the park, the abbey buildings and the surrounding area
Melk Abbey, a Benedictine abbey, is located in Lower Austria near the town of Melk, on the right bank of the Danube. The present (baroque) building was constructed between 1702-1746 by Jakob Prandtauer. As a landmark of the Wachau region, it is part of the UNESCO World Heritage. The abbey has been described as the "most emblematic and dominant baroque building". It also accommodates the Stiftsgymnasium Melk grammar school, Austria’s oldest school still in existence. Abbot is Georg Wilfinger.
The country's spiritual and cultural centre for over 930 years, World Heritage Site 2008, voted together with the Wachau region as "Best Historic Destination of the World" by the National Geographic Traveller magazine.
Pyhra natural swimming pool
Unlike open-air pools, the water in our natural swimming pool is not disinfected with chemical additives. Our 3,300m³ of water are circulated through 2 glass bead filters and a large gravel filter without additives every 48 hours. Thus, the clean water flows back into the swimming area.
A beach volleyball court and a children's playground with a sand and water area provide mega fun in addition to the fun in and on the water. Thanks to an asphalted trail, the lake can also be circumnavigated on dry land.
Enjoying breakfast by the lake or sipping a delicious cocktail in the evening, do I need a ticket for that too? No, simply ask at the counter for a gastro ticket and enjoy the ambience.
For information on current opening hours, please visit Terrazza-Lukić on Facebook
The Klangspiel is not just a restaurant, it is a world of experience. It is a place where pure indulgence meets gastronomy. A place where your gourmet heart melts and you then forget your everyday worries with exclusive clubbing.
The park offers plenty of space for relaxation as well as a BBQ site and many adventure possibilities for the youngest park visitors.
The best ice cream parlour in Lower Austria. (Falstaff Restaurant Guide 2018)
T: +43 2743 22 51
MON/ TUE/ WED / SAT 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
THU / FRI 8:00 am - 11:00 pm
SUN 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
"Overgrown narrow passes, old vineyard plots and colourful, blossoming dry grasslands – insights into an old, almost forgotten cultural landscape await at the Kronberg. Views can be enjoyed on the mountain ranges and hidden away in the Haspelwald forest awaits the name-giving feature of the trail – the Grotto of Our Lady of the Woods."
Grotto Trail 8 Km
"The chequers tree can be found freestanding on meadow orchards in the region around Michelbach – the realm of the chequers tree. The tradition to look after the up to 200-year old trees and to make a wide range of delicacies from their fruits has now been revived. With its location at the edge of the Wiesenwienerwald, Böheimkirchen can be considered the gate to the realm of the chequers tree."
Angerhof Trail 12.5 Km
"You are accompanied by natural forests with black alder trees in small marshy brook valleys and by beech, oak and rare chequers trees in mountain and hilltop forests through the Schildberg Forest along the trail across three mountains - Schildberg, Kollersberg and Plattenberg. Blossoming dry grasslands and the Plattenberg vineyard, as last witness of the widespread wine-making culture in the Böheimkirchen region, await on the south-facing slopes."
3-Mountain Trail 12 Km
A hiking tour to the highest elevation in the St. Pölten district, the Hegerberg in Vienna Woods, guarantees a wonderful panoramic view. The route leads across well-surfaced trails, gravel and asphalted roads and through an amazing part of Wiesenwienerwald.
Difficulty: easy, length: 5.5 km
Starting point: Johann Enzinger Mountain Hut, Am Hegerberg, 3072 Kasten
The Hegerberg is a peak 655 metres above the Adriatic in the Vienna Woods, in the districts of Stössing and Kasten near Böheimkirchen. Hiking trails lead from Stössing, Fahrafeld and Kasten near Böheimkirchen to the Johann Enzinger Mountain Hut at the top.
Monday 11.00 am to 2.00 pm
Wednesday 11.00 am to 2.00 pm
Thursday 11.00 am to 2.00 pm
Friday 11.00 am to 2.00 pm
Sunday 11.00 am to 2.30 pm
The wild service tree grove in Stössing is something really special: around 25 wild service trees grow in a very small area. You reach the wild service tree grove via the forest educational trail of the “Landjugend” rural youth organisation around 2 km after you left the starting point. Continue for a further 2 km and you arrive at the mountain hut at the Hegerberg.
Various wild service tree trails meet at the Hegerberg. The trails can be combined. This trail leads back to Stössing via the monastery.
Insider tip: In the wild service tree grove, you can spend a night in a wild service tree. Information at: www.baumtraum.at
6 km, walking time approx. 4.5 hours. Level of difficulty: intermediate
Starting in Kasten (centre), the trail leads through forests and across meadows uphill to the Hegerberg with many fantastic views. Connection from/to Böheimkirchen possible. Some wild service trees line the approx. 5 km long trail to the Johann Enzinger Mountain Hut at the Hegerberg.
Pedro’s, a traditional inn, serves Austrian-Mediterranean Toque cuisine with regional influences and is a wild service tree partner in Kasten.
approx. 10 km, walking time approx. 4.5 hours, level of difficulty: intermediate
Egon Schiele was born at the train station in Tulln an der Donau on 12 June 1890. Here you learn interesting facts about his life and work.
Starting at either side (Klammhöhe or Stollberg), it takes around 1 hour before you reach the Gföhlberg Hut. Along a diverse trail across meadows and through forests, beautiful views can be enjoyed again and again. Coming from direction Stollberg, the wild service trees line almost the entire trail. A particularly large number can be found near the hut. As an alternative, the Gföhlberg Eight leads around the Gföhlberg and its ’little brother‘ Kasberg in a loop.
A very special nature experience is a hiking tour in early spring when the snowdrops are blossoming – best is to take the trail to the Gföhlberg summit at the crossroads at the bench with the wild service tree.
When coming from the Stollberg, you will find many wild service trees of various ages – from very young to very old wild service trees near the Schneeberg vista at the Gföhlberg Hut.
Level of difficulty: easy, 4 Km, walking time approx. 1 hour
The Benedictine monastery, which was added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage sites in 2000, is situated in 429 m above sea level at the eastern edge of the world-famous Danube Valley in Wachau. At the museum in the Emperor Wing, you experience the baroque splendour of the imperial court architect Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt. There is a restaurant and terrace with beautiful panoramic view across Wachau and the Danube Valley.
T: +43(0)2732 85 581 231
Around 700 years ago, the mill used to clack at Kamp, the first settlement on Grafenegg soil. Three generations later, and a fortified court with an enclosing wall and moat had been built. The castle still bears the name of the noble family who took over the estate a few decades later. However, Ulrich von Grafeneck did not own the estate for long and it followed an eventful time of changing owners and accompanying conversions and extensions which today tell the castle’s history through the centuries.
Renovation of the badly damaged structure commenced after the castle was handed back by the Soviet administration. The renovated Grafenegg Castle has also been a cultural meeting place since 1971 – and the 21st century started with a further extension phase of the most important castle complex of Romantic Historicism in Austria.
The entire castle areal is accessible all year round. The areal can only be accessed with a valid ticket from 3 hours prior to the start of the concert during events at the Wolkenturm tower.
The castle itself with its staterooms, the chapel and the courtyard can be visited during the following hours:
From 14 April until 28 October from Wednesday to Sunday, 11 am – 5 pm.
For guided tours, call +43 (0)2735 2205-22
Ticket office & Info Grafenegg
3485 Grafenegg 10
T: +43 (0)2735 5500
Wed to Sun 11.00 am – 5.00 pm
as well as on concert days until the start of the concert
Winter shutdown: from 17.12.2018 until and including 28.02.2019
The castle ruin is situated in approx. 300 altitude metres above the right riverside of the Danube.
Schlossgut Schönbühel Aggstein AG
Tourismus und Eventmanagement
T:+43 (0) 2753-8228–1
Situated at the intersection between historic sights and the extraordinary cultural landscape of Wachau, the exhibition centres of the Krems Art Mile – the Krems Caricature Museum & the Krems Art Gallery – offer a wide range of exhibitions and events of the highest quality all year round.
The Krems Caricature Museum is in the centre of the Krems Art Mile. Built by Gustav Peichl – alias IRONIMUS-, this museum is the only museum of its kind in Austria and is dedicated to humour and satire. And the motto is ”Laughter is good for you“.
Wild service trees everywhere. Michelbach has designated a hiking tour to the queen of the wild fruits. The densest population of solitary wild service trees can be found around the Hegerberg. This is why the region is called Realm of the Wild Service Trees. On this circular hiking tour, you encounter many beautiful individual wild service trees and learn many interesting facts about the wild service tree.
Starting point is the Vonwald organic farm in Kopfsdorf where you can get a picnic rucksack full of tasty treats made of the fruits of the wild service tree. Idyllic places invite to a picnic and to enjoy a wonderful view.
Circular route 10.60 km of intermediate difficulty, walking time approx. 4.5 hours
Aficionados will be happy on board of the two brilliant white boats because a tour through wild and romantic Wachau turns into a very special experience with the BRANDNER Shipping Company.
On board of the MS Austria, the excursion boat with the golden crown, you experience the World Heritage site of Wachau with premium view every day. Large panorama windows, light-flooded saloons, a stylish lounge and two sundecks invite to relaxation and staying for a while.
The castle was built by the Kuenringers between 1140-1145. The castle is known from the legend surrounding Richard I of England (Richard the Lionheart).
The castle is freely accessible.
T: +43 2711 219
Willendorf became famous due to the find of the Venus of Willendorf (25,000 years old) in 1908.
The Venus of Willendorf dates back to 25,000 BC and is one of Austria’s most famous archaeological finds discovered on 7. 8. 1908 during the excavation of Palaeolithic settlement remains near Willendorf in Wachau. The figurine is 11 cm high, made from limestone and depicts a corpulent, nude woman with a faceless head, a hairdo of parallel rows of curls, serrated bangles at the wrists and was originally covered in thick red paint.
The Lower Austrian public observatory in Michelbach was built by the “ANTARES“ NÖ AMATEURASTRONOMEN association and opened in 2000. So far, over 35,000 visitors have come to the public observatory.
Public guided tours with various topics are offered on a regular basis.
Michelbach Dorf 62
T: +43 676 571 19 24
Austrian, Greek, Italian & Mexican food.
T: +43 2743 77485
Monday to Friday 11 am – 2 pm and 5 pm – 11 pm
Saturday 11 am – 11 pm
Sunday and bank holidays 11 am – 10 pm
Apart from swimming and sunbathing, here you can also enjoy running, cycling, Nordic Walking and there are 2 beach volleyball courts, a basketball court, a football pitch, mini golf facility and 3 playgrounds for children.
Access via Bimbo-Binder-Promenade. Directly at the north-west and north-east Traisen Valley Cycle Track as well as at the running routes No. 2, 11, 13 and 14.
Lake Ratzersdorf can be reached by using LUP Service 7.
The parking spaces of the lakes in Ratzersdorf on both sides of Dr.-Adolf-Schärf-Straße are available for a fee from 01.05. - 31.08. between 8.00 am and 12.00 pm and 1.00 pm and 8.00 pm. Half an hour of parking costs Euro 0.50 and the full 50 cents must be paid for every half hour started. The maximum amount per day is € 4.00.
The famous resort of Spitz is located at the left bank of the Danube river, in the heart of Wachau. Built around the so-called "Tausendeimerberg" ("Hill of a Thousand Buckets”), wine is grown in the centre of Spitz. The old wine-growing village with its renaissance and baroque houses and the beautiful square in front of the Late Gothic church from the 15th century invites to stay a while. The vineyards rise terrace-like around the village.
Here you can enjoy bowling with the entire family or playing billiards with friends, drinking coffee or cocktails and eating finger food or burgers.
Hnilicka Straße 10, 3100 St. Pölten
T: +43 2742 78899
MON - WED 2:00 pm to 11:30 pm
THU 2:00 pm to 00:30 am
FRI, SAT 2:00 pm to 2:00 am
SUN 2:00 pm to 11:00 pm
MON: 8 am – 2 pm and 5 pm – 10 pm
WED and THU: 8 am – 2 pm
FRI, SAT, SUN 8 am – 10 pm
Hot food served from 11.30 am – 2 pm and 5 pm – 8 pm
Located at Lake Ratzersdorf. Here you can play billiards or enjoy bowling with a cocktail & snack or you play a round of Lasertron.
Bimbo Binder Promenade 15, 3100 St. Pölten
T: +43 2742 78899
Friday: 1:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Saturday: 1:00 pm - 12:00 am
Sunday: 1:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Monday - Thursday: Available for exclusive hire!
The “Am Schlossgarten” Restaurant is located in the former stable building, its walls have been preserved in their original condition. It is exquisitely furnished in Provençal style and boasts an impressive historic vault and artistic murals. A special attraction is its panoramic window allowing you to watch the chef and his crew preparing enticing culinary delights, including delicious Ayurvedic cuisine.
Di.-Sa.: 11:30 - 21:00 Uhr
So.: 15:00 - 21:00 Uhr
With 10 halls, one IMAX Theatre and an open-air cinema.
Engelbert-Laimer-Straße 1, 3100 St. Pölten
T: + 43 2742/28 80
Daily from 10 am to 9 pm
30 minutes prior to the first screening until 15 minutes after the last screening.
Treat yourself to the creations of Toque chef Michael.
T: +43 2784 2224
Food served from
11:30 am - 2:00 pm & 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Small cosy cinema with Cinema Bar (coffee, wine, cocktails). Screening of festival hits, US-independents, award-winning films from Austria, Europe and the rest of the world.
Rathausplatz 14, 3100 St. Pölten
Cash desk T: +43 2742 21400
Office T: +43 2742 34321
Cinema: 30 min prior to the first screening
Bar: Mon - Sun from 9.00 am
The meeting point for sophisticated gourmets attracts guests from near and far. Beef filet and fish is acquired from suppliers in the vicinity, and the fried lemon chicken off the bone is one of the classics at Figl.
Gaststätte Figl in St. Pölten-Ratzersdorf has been named “Top Restaurant 2018“.
Food is served:
Tuesday to Saturday 11.30 am - 2.30 pm and 6 pm - 9.30 pm
Closed Sundays/Mondays and bank holidays
Tel.: +43 2742 25 74 02
Monday to Wednesday:
7:30 am – 12:00 am
Thursday to Saturday:
7:30 am – 1:00 am
Hot food served all day:
7:30 am – 11:00 pm
Sunday: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
(Hot food: 9:00 am – 2:30 pm)
The forest was established in honour of Emperor Franz Josef I in 1898. Here you can run (there is an obstacle course with 15 stations) and there is a small playground, an animal enclosure with fallow deer, mouflons and rams and beautiful flora.
Hammerpark is close to the government district and stretches across an area of 4.7 hectares with large trees, beautiful flora, a playground with sandpit and many water birds, rabbits, goats and guinea pigs.
Helligergasse 16, 3100 St. Pölten
The Rosenburg Renaissance Castle is one of the best maintained historic buildings of its kind in Austria. Enjoy the impressive castle complex, the romantic gardens and Europe‘s largest, still existing tournament court. Experience history during a personal guided tour through stately rooms. Enjoy the unique presentation of the historic falconry, a UNESCO World Heritage cultural site, afterwards.
The Traisen Valley Cycle Track is 111 km long and is one of the most popular cycle routes in the Mostviertel. The family and pilgrims‘ cycle track leads from Traismauer through the Traisen Valley-Danube wine region via St. Pölten, Lilienfeld and St. Aegyd am Neuwalde to Mariazell.
Töpperschloss Neubruck 2/10, 3283 Scheibbs
T: +43 7482 204 44
Austria’s largest medieval monastery was founded by the Babenberg Duke Leopold VI the Glorious in 1202. The seal on the charter, in which Duke Frederick II the Quarrelsome confirmed the foundation of Lilienfeld Abbey, is the first displaying the horizontal triband – Austria’s emblem. Thus, Lilienfeld is the birthplace of our national colours red-white-red.
From the state capital St. Pölten through the picturesque Pielach Valley and the ÖTSCHER:REICH region to the pilgrimage destination of Mariazell, crossing 19 viaducts and passing through 21 tunnels: a trip on Austria's longest narrow-gauge railway is a very impressive experience.
Apart from the modern Himmelstreppe trains of the Mariazell Railway, exclusive first-class panorama carriages as well as nostalgia trains, powered by either a historic electric locomotive or the Mh.6 steam engine, are also available.
A particular highlight of the Mariazell Railway are the first-class panorama carriages. These are in service on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays during the Advent period as well as from 11 May until 27 October 2019.
Vintage fans can enjoy the Ötscherbär train during the Advent period. The train is powered by an over 100-year old electric locomotive and is in service on the 84 km-long route on five dates during the Advent period and then again from 1 June until 28 September 2019.
Highlight for all railway fans is a ride on the historic Mh.6 steam engine – the atmosphere is especially wonderful during the Advent period. There are four dates during the 2018 Advent period. More dates are available again every 2nd Sunday from May until October 2019.
Daily from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm
Niederösterreichische Verkehrsorganisationsges.m.b.H. (NÖVOG)
Fao. NÖVOG Infocenter, Werkstättenstraße 13, 3100 St. Pölten
T: +43 (0) 2742 / 360 990 - 99
Relax with a round of golf (9-hole golf course)
Berging 1, 3040 Neulengbach
T: +43 664 13818 91
Dr. Theodor Körner Straße 39, A-3100 St. Pölten
Contact/reservation: 0676/961 59 00
From Wednesday to Saturday 10 am to 11 pm
Regional cuisine in a cosy atmosphere – free of charge swimming pond, wildlife enclosure, children’s playground and much more.
“More tradition and more Austria“: Here you find excellent Austrian cuisine with dishes made from selected products from the Austrian culinary regions and regional farmers. We put great emphasis on seasonal, healthy, attractively priced and high-quality food for everyone.
“We are open every day“: From now on, we offer daily changing and affordable lunch menus as well as an extensive à la carte menu.
The Matras Look-Out was built in 1865 and is located at the highest-situated mountain of the Vienna Woods, the Schöpfl in Brand Laaben. The look-out has been maintained by the Austrian Tourist Club Division Triesting Valley and Vienna Woods since 1885/87. The Schöpfl Mountain Hut is an inn serving food & drink and offering guests a place to sleep.
Daily from 8:30 am with breakfast menu – in good weather conditions, food served until 9:30 pm.
Depending on weather conditions, subject to change... please contact us by calling 0650-4751089 or check the icon (open/closed) at the top right on our website.
The culture and mountaineers‘ village Lunz am See is located directly in the heart of the Mostviertel region and offers many hiking routes as well as Lower Austria’s only natural lake – Lake Lunzer See with its unique lake stage. The tranquillity at the lake, a summit victory or the pleasure of culture – emotions in the culture and mountaineers’ village Lunz am See are real and natural.
The Forsthof Iceland Horse Centre in Lower Austria is situated in a beautiful landscape at the base of the Schöpfl, the highest mountain in the Vienna Woods (890m), in an idyllic location surrounded by forest and meadows in around 700 m above sea level.
Anyone who comes to Mariazell is not only astonished by the diversity of languages, nationalities and cultures but also experiences the variety of European and international life.
Countless votive pictures and votive offerings in the treasury of the basilica are proof of the many people who have left their mark here.
The treasuries accommodated the Styrian national exhibition “Treasure and Fate“ in 1996. Since then, the treasuries have been presenting themselves in a new look and offer visitors a valuable as well as interesting exhibition.
Mariazell Railway, MzB in short, is an electrically operated narrow-gauge railway with a track gauge of 760 millimetres in Austria. The mountain railway connects the capital of Lower Austria, St. Pölten, with the Styrian place of pilgrimage Mariazell; the route originally continued to Gußwerk.
Pizzeria & Ristorante
Rathausplatz 5, 3100 St. Pölten
T: +43 2742 20233
NEW: Monday closed!
TUE - SAT: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
SUN: 12:00 pm - 9:00 pm
MON - SAT:
11:00 am - 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm
11:00 am - 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Illo Holy started looking for a suitable areal for a golf course not too far away from Vienna in 1980. After some setbacks, he finally found it in a beautiful piece of forest opposite the Schöpfl in spring 1981 – it was love at first sight. He designed the layout of the course that very evening. As the areal was very limited, there was only place for 9 holes. But: "Small is beautiful", and that has been the motto of the Wienerwald Golf Club since it was founded. And the motto applies to all areas, including the number of members.
The two-steeple baroque church can be seen from afar and is one of the most beautiful viewpoints along the panorama high route. It is the most important pilgrimage church in the Mostviertel region. The first chapel was built here in 1440. Today’s “Basilica minor“ was built by the baroque master builders Jakob Prandtauer and Josef Munggenast in the 18th century. The frescos, the treasure chamber and the high altar are especially worth seeing.
Benedictines have been praying and working in continued tradition here in the “Vierkanter Gottes“ in Seitenstetten for 900 years (1112 – 2012). Surrounded by the hilly Mostviertel landscape with its abundance of pear trees, Seitenstetten Abbey has been shaping the local people, nature and culture for centuries.
Seitenstetten Abbey presents a harmonious arrangement of art, culture, nature & culinary delights. The “Vierkanter Gottes“, as the monastery is commonly known, impresses with its baroque art treasures, a unique gallery and the historic court garden.
The Lower Austrian Iron Route connects the gentle hilly landscape with the wild-alpine mountain world around the Ötscher, Dürrenstein and Hochkar. The route today is a prime example of living history, regional engagement and careful handling of nature.
The Iron Route in Lower Austria presents itself as a treasure chest full to bursting for visitors on discovery tour in the world of iron and this unique natural landscape. This old cultural heritage takes visitors away from everyday life and leads them into the world of the ”Black Counts“.
A wide range of museums, exhibitions and artistic settings revive the roots in a modern way.
When Vienna grew into a city of more than one million inhabitants, the old cemeteries of the various districts became to small. To accommodate the growing capital, the Central Cemetery, with an area of about 495 acres, was opened in 1874.
Greek cuisine: salads, vegetarian dishes, fish & meat, desserts.
T: + 43 2742 314184
Monday – Saturday
11:30 am – 3:00 pm
5:30 pm – 11:00 pm
11:30 am – 3:00 pm
An experience for the entire family
Austria’s oldest nature park is situated near Mödling in the southern part of the Vienna Woods. The walled-in, park-like areal enchants with giant trees, romantic ruins and vast meadows and invites to hiking tours through the landscape of the Vienna Woods. The park was designed in the Biedermeier period. The combination of old elements with aspects in modern design as well as freely roaming wild boars guarantee guests an unforgettable day. The attractive adventure playground, with motor activity stations added in 2018, lets the heart of all nature park visitors beat faster.
Greek cuisine: salads, vegetarian dishes, fish & meat, desserts
T: +43 2742 / 37710
Monday to Saturday from 11.30 am to 2.30 pm
and from 5.00 pm to 12 am, open every day!
The Baden Casino was opened in the spa house as Austria’s first casino with year-round operation on 12 April 1934.
The casino was closed during World War II and became the Russian headquarter at the end of the war. Thus, the casino operation could only commence again in the middle of 1955. The casino was relocated to the congress building in 1968.
The Baden Casino has been renovated several times since 1977. During the big conversion 1992-1995, the casino was accommodated in the Baden Event Hall. The Baden Casino reopened as Europe’s biggest casino including congress and event centre in March 1995. The gambling room and the restaurants underwent a modern relaunch in 2007.
27-hole leading golf course.
This golf course is one of Austria’s most beautiful and most interesting 27-hole leading golf courses – built by the 11-times National Rallye Champion Franz Wittmann.
The golf course fits perfectly in the charming landscape of the Lower Austrian Alpine foreland. Golf is played from April – November!
The Max Schubert Look-Out is located in Killing, a part of the market town of Kapelln in the district of St. Pölten-Land in Lower Austria.
The Max Schubert Look-Out is located in the geographical centre of Lower Austria in 227 metres above the Adriatic and was built in 1993. It bears the name of the geometrician Maximilian Schubert (1896–1966). The look-out is located directly at the Way of St. James Purkersdorf–Göttweig. The construction of the look-out was initiated by Hannes Schubert, the son of Max Schubert. The opening of the look-out was attended by Otto Habsburg. However, the construction work was only completed by the municipality of Kapelln three years later.
The Imperial Carriage Museum in the palace park of Schönbrunn Palace presents carriages and exquisite items of clothing of the Habsburgs. A "Sisi Path" is dedicated to Empress Elisabeth.
The Andreas Peace Look-Out Tower at the Halterberg near Rassing is located in the Mostviertel leisure hiking landscape of Kapelln. A refreshing pre-Alps panorama, with views to the Schneeberg and Ötscher in fair weather, is waiting here. This viewpoint was built in 2004.
The market town of Kapelln an der Perschling – which includes the cadastral community of Killing – is the geographical centre of Lower Austria as calculated by the geometrician DI Schubert. Marking the exact centre, the Max Schubert Look-Out in Kapelln bears his name.
A visit to the Andreas Peace Look-Out can easily be included in a beautiful hiking tour around Kapelln.
The neo-Gothic building on the Ringstrasse was built as a token of gratitude for a failed attempt to assassinate Emperor Franz Joseph.
The circular route is 22 km long and, with the existing circular route marking 13/1, an adjustment to present circumstances and the installation of new signposts was carried out by the Wanderfreunde Kapelln in 2009. Kilometre stones are used as signposts. They indicate the current distance to the starting point at the fortified church in Kapelln.
This is to encourage the many joggers and walkers in the area of the municipality to use this route. Because even if only a section of the route is used, they can check their respective performance by looking at the kilometre stones.
The new Transport Museum of Wiener Linien was created in the former Erdberg depot in 2014. It shows historic and modern vehicles and offers interactive insights into public transport in Vienna.
Many small villages as well as scattered farmsteads between lush forested, gentle mountain ridges dominate the landscape. The mostly pristine nature of the Dunkelsteinerwald, the clean air and an attractive landscape invite to walks and hiking tours.
Tel.: 02752 8246
The Fladnitztal Valley is the direct connection between the state capital St. Pölten and Wachau. Here, on this plain between Traisental Valley and Dunkelsteinerwald, is the perfect place for easy bike tours with many viewpoints and a wide range of possibilities for a stop at excellent inns and outstanding wine-selling taverns. In fair weather, it is possible to see the Schneeberg, the Ötscher or far into the Tulln Basin and the Weinviertel.
Bahnhofstraße 4, 3125 Absdorf
T: +43 (0)2786/2247
The Vienna International Centre (VIC), known locally as UNO City, is one of the four official headquarters of the United Nations, along with New York, Geneva and Nairobi.
The University of Vienna offers guided tours through the main building. In 1884, Emperor Franz Joseph I inaugurated the new main building of the University of Vienna on the Ringstrasse, which had been erected by the architect Heinrich von Ferstel.
Schönbrunn Zoo in Vienna has been voted Europe's best zoo for the fifth time. Each year, more than two million visitors come to see panda babies, newborn elephants and many other rare animals in the world's oldest zoo still in existence.
The Vienna Museum of Technology offers extraordinary insights into the world of technology in a space of 22,000 square meters.
The Jewish City Temple was built in the years 1825-26 by Josef Kornhäusel, the most eminent architect of the Vienna Biedermeier era.
St. Stephen's Cathedral is the symbol of Vienna. Construction commenced in the 12th century. Today, it is one of the most important Gothic structures in Austria.
The Vienna State Opera is one of the top opera addresses in the world – where you can enjoy the very best in first-class productions.
The Spanish Riding School and its world-famous Lipizzaners offers the highest standard of horse-riding art in the Baroque ambience of the Imperial Palace.
In 1897, Gustav Klimt and a number of other artists quit the conservative Künstlerhaus and founded a new art association called the Secession. The building of the same name was completed in 1898.
The former summer residence of the Habsburgs impresses with imperial ceremonial rooms and magnificent gardens. Maria Theresa, Emperor Franz Joseph, Empress Elisabeth and others once resided here.
The Palm House in Burggarten is considered one of the most beautiful art nouveau structures of its kind in the world. Since 1998, the building, more than 3,000 square feet in area, towers over the garden of the Imperial Palace; it houses hundreds of free-flying tropical butterflies in a re-creation of their natural environment. The temperature is 27°C and the humidity 80%.
The most important treasury in the world is home to two imperial crowns as well as the Burgundian treasure and the treasure of the Order of the Golden Fleece.
Vienna's Ringstrasse is 5.3 kilometers long. Long enough to provide space for numerous monumental buildings, which were built during the period of Historicism in the 1860s to 1890s. Today, the buildings that stand there – from the Vienna State Opera to the Museum of Fine Arts – are among the most important sights in the city of Vienna.
The Giant Ferris Wheel in the Prater is one of the city's symbols. Almost 65 meters tall, it offers a breathtaking view of the city on the Danube.
Friedrich von Schmidt, who had been the architect of the Cathedral of Cologne, designed and built Vienna's City Hall, the most important secular building in the neo-Gothic style in the city, between 1872 and 1883.
Off to the garden fantasy wonderland.
The Kittenberg Adventure Gardens combine extraordinary show gardens with cosy garden restaurant and the possibility to get inspirations for the garden at home. Many events complement the programme.
An amusement park for many, place of nostalgic dreams for some, oasis of greenery for almost everyone – and the location of the Giant Ferris Wheel, one of Vienna’s most famous symbols. The Vienna Prater is in season from March to October. But the world-famous Giant Ferris Wheel and a few other attractions are open all year round.
TULLN GARDENS is the first ecological garden show in Europe and a top excursion destination in Lower Austria.
Various show gardens, the 30-metre-high treetop path and the largest adventure and nature playground in Lower Austria can be experienced every year. The garden show provides hobby gardeners with many ideas and is an excursion destination for nature lovers as well as an adventure land for families.
An area of 10 hectares offers something for everyone!
The entire terrain is accessible, people with disabilities are welcome here! A green paradise for walks, for inspiration, for playing and fun, for relaxation and regeneration.
A museum in the former imperial pleasure building in the Augarten illustrates the history of Viennese porcelain from its beginnings to today.
The driving technique centre Melk/Wachauring is situated in the western part of Lower Austria between Amstetten and St. Pölten. The areal of over twelve hectares offers a very special programme. Especially interesting is the race track, allowing for various routes of up to 1,150 metres. The piste for driving technique trainings, motorcycle handling courses and an off-road terrain complement the training facilities. The cart track at the Wachauring delights even experienced cart pilots with a length of 750 metres, various inclines and a highspeed straight. Racing carts with 270 cm³ and perfect safety features increase the driving fun even more.
Am Wachauring 2, 3390 Melk
T: +43 2752 528 55 32200
In 2000, Wachau became a UNESCO World Heritage – cultural site. The Wachau Railways have been connecting Emmersdorf with Krems for 100 years now. There are 11 stops from Krems to Emmersdorf. Each stop is perfect as starting point for bicycle tours, hiking tours, sights or culinary experiences.
T: +43 2742 360 990-99
At the Vienna Planetarium, you will find the most modern star projector in the world, depicting the starry sky almost life-like in different "astro shows".
White flours dunes, shimmering salt crystals, a glistening water curtain and golden yeast cells – the top excursion destination Haubiversum – The Bread Experience presents itself from a completely new side!
Haubis provides fascinating new insights into the world of bread and shows everything that is actually needed to make good bread. Especially the younger visitors will enjoy the new visitors‘ route. Children can look forward to lovely details, tricky puzzles and funny games with the mascot Anton Kornmeister. Apart from the new film for the grown-ups, there is of course an exciting film for children!
The Palm House in the palace park at Schönbrunn is the largest of its kind on the European continent. It houses dozens of Mediterranean, tropical and subtropical plants.
Kernhof Camel Theatre - As-salamu alaykum at the world’s first camel theatre
The camel theatre, created by travel expert and globetrotter Herbert Eder in Kernhof, is a well-maintained areal, accommodated in an animal and flower park, and is not only interesting for children. Apart from the white feline predators and the funny camels, there are many other animals to be discovered.
The history of the earth and the breathtaking variety of nature can be practically experienced due to 20 million objects: From insects to gemstones and minerals and pterodactyls, the Habsburgs united everything under the roof of this museum near the Imperial Palace. Numerous taxidermy specimens of animals that are either extinct or threatened with extinction make the collection all the more valuable.
The Gemeindealpe, in the heart of Mariazeller Land, combines sunshine and snow-reliability due to its exposition and the altitude.
The programme in Mitterbach is mainly aimed at ambitious winter sport fans. The Gemeindealpe is the contrasting programme to the surrounding family ski resorts.
The State Hall, the heart of the Austrian National Library, is one of the most beautiful library halls in the world. It is the biggest Baroque library in Europe.
The Annaberg ski resort offers everything that makes the skier’s heart beat faster: Top-groomed pistes for all requirements, quaint ski huts, ski school, comfortable ski hire service – and all this at family-friendly prices and away from the hustle and bustle. The ideal ski resort for skiers looking for variety and good value for money.
The Musikverein is Vienna's most famous center for classical music. Going to a concert here is about getting to know Vienna as a city of music in a setting of the very finest quality. And musical greats such as the Vienna Philharmonic.
The Museum of the Johann Strauss Dynasty is the first museum in the world to present the family history and creative works of the entire Strauss family. Waltz king Johann Strauss, as well as his eponymous father and his brothers Josef and Eduard, conquered the world back then with their music. Even today, their more than 1,500 works represent Viennese music like no others.
The mumok - Museum of Modern Art Ludwig foundation Vienna in the MuseumsQuartier focuses its attention on the art of the 20th and 21st centuries. Works by Andy Warhol, Claes Oldenburg, Pablo Picasso, Yoko Ono, Günter Brus and Gerhard Richter invite visitors to engage with contemporary art.
Though Mozart lived at a dozen different addresses in Vienna, the only apartment that has survived to this day is at Domgasse number 5. The composer lived at this address from 1784 till 1787.
Design is one of the main features of MAK. The museum shows furniture, glass, china, silver, and textiles from the Middle Ages to the present day. Precious crafts from the Wiener Werkstätte, bentwood furniture by Thonet and art nouveau highlights such as the gilded design of Gustav Klimt for the frieze of the Stoclet Palais in Brussels.
The world-famous waxworks museum Madame Tussauds is the highlight of the Prater, with over 80 wax figures and an interactive experience based on Sisi.
One of the biggest Rubens collections and key works by van Dyck, Lucas Cranach and Raffael can be admired, as can works by Rembrandt, van Ruysdael and Hamilton.
The Kunsthistorisches Museum (Art History Museum) was built in 1891 near the Imperial Palace to house the extensive collections of the imperial family. With its vast array of eminent works and the largest Bruegel collection in the world, it is considered one of the most eminent museums in the world.
The Kunsthalle Wien presents a very high standard of contemporary art in the MuseumsQuartier and at Karlsplatz. Art-lovers visiting Vienna will not want to miss what the Kunsthalle Wien has in store.
Take in a lecture and a tour of the historic observatory and, weather permitting, an astronomical survey of the skies with the big, over 100 year-old telescope.
Gustav Klimt used a villa in the 13th Viennese district as a studio from 1911 until his death in 1918. This has been revitalized and re-opened to the public again.
A magnificent religious building with a large cupola: St. Charles' Church, the last work of the eminent baroque architect Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach.
The Imperial Crypt is located beneath the Capuchin Church and is intended for members of Austria’s former Habsburg dynasty, who have been laid to rest in the crypt since 1633.
Judenplatz is considered a singular place of remembrance; it combines three things: Rachel Whiteread's Memorial, the excavations of a medieval synagogue and a museum about medieval Jewry; together they form a unique unit of remembrance.
The Hundertwasser House in Vienna is one of Austria’s architectural highlights. The house designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser draws visitors from around the world.
For more than seven centuries, the great empire of the Habsburgs was ruled from the Imperial Palace. Today, the Gothic Imperial Chapel, where the Vienna Boys’ Choir performs during High Mass on Sunday, is a remnant of the Imperial Palace during the Middle Ages.
The Hermes Villa stands in the Lainz Game Reserve. Emperor Franz Joseph once gave the villa as a gift to Empress Elisabeth, the legendary Sissi - as a "Palace of Dreams". It was his way of trying to get his travel-keen wife to stay in Vienna more often.
The Museum of Military History examines the history of the Habsburg Monarchy from the end of the 16th century to the end of the monarchy in 1918, as well as the subsequent years up until 1945. The museum mainly focuses on the role of the army and military history on the high seas.
The House of the Sea displays tropical freshwater and saltwater fish, as well as fish from the Mediterranean and domestic waters, and sharks, all at a lofty height.
A hundred years after the founding of the First Republic, the new House of Austrian History on Heldenplatz casts light on our country's eventful history after 1918.
Today, Café Gloriette is housed in this splendid building. Delicious pastries and a magnificent view of Vienna await you here. And every Sunday morning, there is a brunch with live music ranging from the classics to jazz.
In the years 1886 to 1888, Otto Wagner built the opulent white villa surrounded by nature for himself and his beloved wife Louise.
For almost half a century, from 1891 to 1938, the founding father of psychoanalysis lived at Berggasse 19. Freud was forced to emigrate in 1938 after Austria was annexed by Nazi Germany. He spent the last year of his life in Britain.
252 meters high, two fast lifts, 35 seconds up: the observation terrace of the Danube Tower at a height of 155 meters offers the best view over Vienna.
The theater was built from 1874 to 1888 according to designs by Gottfried Semper and Karl von Hasenauer. Ever since 1776, when Emperor Joseph II founded the Court and National Theater, the institution preceding the present-day Burgtheater, this theater, with its distinguished company, has held a leading position in the dramatic arts of the German-speaking countries. For the season 2014/15, the Burgtheater was awarded "Theater of the Year" by the German-language journal "Theater heute".
The Belvedere is not only a magnificent Baroque palace but also houses one of Austria's most valuable art collections – with key works by Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele and Oskar Kokoschka.
The Albertina not only has the largest and most valuable graphical collections in the world, with works such as Dürer’s “Hare” and Klimt's studies of women. Its latest exhibition collection presents masterpieces of the Modern, spanning Monet to Picasso and Baselitz. As the largest Habsburg residential palace, the Albertina dominates the southern tip of the Imperial Palace on one of the last remaining fortress walls in Vienna.
A former fortress church, of which the defensive wall and the remains of the fortified tower are still reminders.
Am Berg 1, 3071 Böheimkirchen
The first documented record of the Böheimkirchen Chapel dates back to 1248. However, the chapel was built much earlier, possible in the Carolingian period.
In 1936, the Austrian poet Josef Weinheber (1892 to 1945) purchased an estate in Kirchstetten, in which he lived together with his wife until he died. Much of his work was produced here during this period in Kirchstetten. Weinheber loved this place and writes about it in many letters. His place of rest is in the garden of the house. Owner of the house and garden is now his son Christian Weinheber-Janota, who lives here with his family. Some of the rooms in which the poet had lived and worked have been left in their original state and can be visited at any time by prior appointment. The poet’s grave in the garden of the estate is freely accessible at any time.
Wystan Hugh Auden in Kirchstetten
The Anglo-American poet Wystan Hugh Auden (1907 - 1973) settled in Kirchstetten in 1957.
He won the Italian Prize for Literature and purchased today’s Auden House in Hinterholz with the prize money. W.H. Auden is one of the most famous poets in the English-speaking world of the 20th century. Until his death in 1973, he spent every summer in Kirchstetten, where also some of his late work was produced.
Established by the Lords of Ollersbach and in possession of several aristocratic families. Extended in the 17th century and rebuilt in today’s form in 1683 (destroyed by the Ottomans).
T: +43 2772 55850
The castle is situated in Lower Austria, in the very part of the Mostviertel where the landscape stretches across vast hills very close to the Danube. The origins of the castle date back to the 17th century. However, the foundation of the so-called Old Castle with three storeys and an elongated adjacent service block may even date back to the year 1600.
Thalheim 22, 3141 Kapelln
T:+43 2784 20079
BURNING BRICKS IN AUSTRIA‘S LAST ACTIVE BRICK KILN
The brickyard was founded in 1867 and taken over by us in 1975. Today we operate Austria’s last Hoffmann kiln.
Herzogenburg Abbey is a Roman Catholic monastery of the Augustinian canons. Located in the lower part of the Traisen Valley, it is a spiritual and communal centre.
The building is open to everyone and there are many meetings: The important services throughout the church year are held with special arrangements and are celebrated by many.
The three municipalities of Asperhofen, Maria Anzbach and Neulengbach reacquired the Buchberg areal in 2002 and made it available to the public. The new 22.5 m-high Buchberg Observation Point was inaugurated in 2004. The Buchberg has become yet again one of the most popular excursion destinations in Vienna Woods in recent years.
The mountain hut has been accommodating a restaurant again since 2003. Irene Cevela and Gerhard Köcher have been the proprietors of this mountain hut since 2006.
Marktgemeinde Maria Anzbach
Marktplatz 22, 3034 Maria Anzbach
T: +43 (0)2772 / 52481
Mon 7:30 am - 12:00 pm
Tue 7:30 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Wed not open to the public
Thu & Fri 7:30 am - 12:00 pm
Built in and stately home of the Lords Lengenbach since 1191. It was converted to a residential castle on order of Duke Khuen in the 17th century.
Tel+43 676 7509022
Renaissance-style building was added in the 19th century.
The old town hall was built in renaissance-style around 1620. It was restored and the sgraffito and the town coat of arms were renovated in 1950. The building is now used by the local music society.
with Mrs Ilona Muhr
T: +43 2772/52105-22
Once a renaissance castle with hipped roof, the castle was badly damaged by the Ottomans in 1683. According to records of the time, the final deterioration was caused by imperial soldiers when they were crashing a den of robbers. The castle building was removed and the towers were left to deteriorate around 1820.
The Alland Cave is located in the 478 metres high Buchberg south of Alland and was opened as show cave on 21 June 1928 and has been a Lower Austrian natural monument since 30 July 1949. The original name of the cave was Frauenhöhle or Frauenloch
The cave is 70 m long and 12 m deep; the entrance is approx. 3 x 3 m. The passageways are up to 12 m high. Among all caves in the Vienna Woods, this cave boasts the by far widest range of stalagmite formations: here you find water funnels, leaching alcoves, pearl sinter, rock milk and stalactites as well as bone fragments of brown bears.
The original castle was already built in the 12th century. It was built by the knights of Arberg who carried the eagle in their name and escutcheon. Araburg therefore means eagle’s castle, a name that does Lower Austria’s highest-situated castle justice. (approx. 800 m above sea level)
Under the Ruckendorf Family and the Jörger Family, the castle was extended in stages until the 17th century.
From 1625, Araburg Castle was owned by Lilienfeld Abbey and finally became a ruin during the Turkish siege in 1683. Araburg Castle today is a rewarding excursion destination for everyone.
The Heiligenkreuz Abbey is a living Cistercian abbey which was founded already in 1133, and has been in existence continuously ever since. The monastery is the largest cultural and spiritual attraction of the Vienna Woods and is visited by approx. 120,000 tourists from around the world every year.
Once imperial summer residence where the Romans used to bathe in the sulphur springs long before that, today a modern spa town at the edge of the Vienna Woods, inviting its visitors to relaxation and enjoyment. A combination of pleasant climate, cosmopolitan charm and elegant flair attracts visitors of all ages and guarantees immediate slowing down as well as long-term recovery.
The castle was built at the beginning of the 12th century and the extension and conversion to a renaissance castle started in 1540.
T: +43 2754 6317-0
Today’s baroque building was built by Jakob Prandtauer in the years 1702 to 1746. It is an UNESCO World Heritage site and the landmark of Melk. Stiftgymnasium Melk is Austria’s oldest still existing school.
On the tracks of Archduke Franz Ferdinand…The “Artstetten Fairy Tale Castle” is located a bit outside Wachau – in the middle of a dreamy park – and honours the memory of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the heir to the throne, who was assassinated in Sarajevo in 1914.
The village of Maria Taferl is located at the north bank of the River Danube. Here sits enthroned the Maria Taferl Pilgrimage Basilica, Lower Austria’s holy shrine of “Our Lady of Sorrows”.
A fantastic vista across the Danube Valley and the hilly landscape of the Mostviertel region to the Alpine peaks, presenting itself to the visitor across a width of 300 km, can be enjoyed from the Marian shrine which is beautifully located on a hill 233 m above the River Danube.
The laying of the foundation stone of the Maria Taferl Pilgrimage Church, which included the oak tree with the picture of miraculous powers – hence the name ”Maria Taferl“, took place on 25 April 1660.
Only the remains of the white wall are left of the once impressive Hohenegg Castle in Dunkelsteinerwald. The castle was mentioned for the first time in 1140. The ruin has been under renovation since 1970. The castle ruin offers a beautiful view to the Alpine foreland. The castle is maintained by the Burg Hohenegg Association and is available as venue for up to 150 persons. The castle is basically freely accessible at any time, but the tower and the Montecuccoli Hall can only be visited as part of guided tours by prior appointment.
The Knights of Leyben built the castle in 1113. It has changed owners many times since then.
Schloss Leiben GmbH
T: +43 2752 70043
Built by the Graz architect Klaus Kada and opened in 1997, the theatre features a concert hall and a stage of international standard and offers around 1,100 seats. It is a venue for dance, music, orchestra performances and events between tradition and modernity.
Festival Theatre box office
Kulturbezirk 2, 3100 St. Pölten
T: +43 2742 90 80 80 600
niederösterreich kultur karten
Rathausplatz 19, 3100 St. Pölten
This two-storey house used to be a military prison before it was purchased by the organisation which assigned the construction of the theatre to architect Josef Schwerdtfeger.
The theatre has 357 seats, 14 standing places and two wheelchair places are also available.
Landestheater Niederösterreich Betriebs
GmbH Rathausplatz 11, 3100 St. Pölten
Tel. +43 2742 90 80 60 0
niederösterreich kultur karten
Rathausplatz 19, 3100 St. Pölten
Tel. +43 2742 90 80 80 600
It is Lower Austria’s only art nouveau synagogue and was built based on plans of the architects Theodor Schreier and Viktor Postelberg in 1913. During the night from 9 to 10 November 1938, the synagogue was badly damaged. Restoration commenced in summer 1980.
T: (+43-2742) 77171-0
The building was constructed in art nouveau style in 1899 and features a mortar-cut relief with the topic “Medicine”. Principal was the senior consultant of the hospital, Ernst Stöhr (the building is also known as Stöhr House), and the architect was Joseph Maria Olbrich.
“Apotheke zum Goldenen Löwen“; built in 1545, this is the oldest establishment and pharmacy in St. Pölten. In 1728, the pharmacy’s facade was renovated by the architect Joseph Munggenast to match the baroque style.
T: +43 2742 353127
1782 wurden Kloster und Kirche profaniert. 1934 wurde der ursprüngliche Zustand der Kirche wiederhergestellt und 1935 neu eingeweiht.
Rektorat: DDr. Reinhard Knittel, Domplatz 1, 3100 St. Pölten
T: +43 2742/324703
At the Rathausplatz (former Carmelite church) with rococo façade, built between 1757 and 1768.
The Klangturm was built by the architect DI Ernst Hoffmann in 1996 and is a viewing platform with view across St. Pölten. The tower is 67 m (77 m including antenna) in height and consists of 1,000 m² glass which is carried by a steel skeleton of 650 tons in weight.
T:+43 2742 9005-17121
The building was purchased and converted by the town in 1503. Noticeable are several architectural styles – Romanesque arches, Gothic alcoves, Renaissance inscriptions, baroque facades and a Renaissance tower by Joseph Munggenast. The mayor’s office displays a baroque "imperial stucco ceiling".
T: +43 2742 333-0
With its unique architectural style by Hans Hollein, the Lower Austria Museum has been offering two facilities under one roof since September 2017 – two museums for one ticket. Both buildings accommodate a permanent presentation as well as special and topical exhibitions. Experience the House of History and the House of Nature in St. Pölten.
With a colourful programme for the entire family, the Lower Austria Museum invites to an all-day stay and to return visits. Enjoy food and drink at the “Pan Pan“ museum restaurant, or relax in the museum garden with children’s playground. Visit the culture town of St. Pölten, the ideal stop between the Wachau and Mariazellerland tourist regions.